Friday, September 01, 2006

this morning + musings

Started September with a 9k run in the early hours of the morning and I guess my legs have finally got the message that I want to go slow because today it felt like I was running in slow motion. It was a feeling of every move being heavy and laden while taking an eternity for the legs to turn over.

Pseudo-running-related gossip:
I have witnessed the birth of two types of running personalities over the last couple of weeks,

Person 1: Probably used to be an OK runner (by ok I mean running at less than 5min/km pace) but now is about 6min/km pace, likes to talk up how fast they once were and boast about the training they are doing. Which incidentally is 2 runs a week for a total of 15-20km. How do I deal with this, just nod and smile, say “that’s great” and don’t divulge anything about my training because if they beat me I don’t want them rubbing in my face how good they are.

Person 2: Complains no end about not being able to run 2.2km non-stop but doesn’t seem to take on any advice I offer, Is it because I don’t look like a runner? Because I am on the heavy side? How do I deal with this, just ignore the complaining and don’t offer anymore advice.

Edit: ok better put a positive one in...person 3: knows I am into running so asked my advice about how to get faster over 4.3km on 2 runs a week. I told them do a long run and a speed session, they were all ready doing fartlek like runs. They took my advice on board and implemeneted it in his own way. Better than the personal trainer who said "you want to get faster? just jump on the treadmill and go flat out all the time!"...welcome to Injury Town - population you.

I guess the best thing to do with running lately is that corporate cup has started which has gotten a lot more people from work thinking about running and talking about running. This goes back to one of the reasons I started this blog…no-one I know is a runner, jogger or would even contemplate running in a fun run, or consider running "fun". Therefore I started my blog to have a conversation with myself (and obviously you, if you are reading this) because there was just no-one else to talk to about running related news/issues/training…or chit chat. LONG LIVE THE BLOG!

5 comments:

2P said...

Good post Simlin

FWIW person 2 - tell em talk is cheap it takes money to buy beer i.e. no point talking about running get out and do it (which incidently you have and can run much further than 2.2k!!)

Person 1 yes nothing is as sad as a has-been the golden rule is those that know don't speak and those that speak don't know - so it is entirely probably they are not as good as they think they were - having said that it always pays to have a little respect for the accomplishment of others even if it is in the past.

Now did I ever tell you about the time I an 18min 5k? :-) :-) :-)

Sekhmet said...

Hell yeah long live the blog! LOL :-)

Seriously though, I've met heaps of really awesome people in person since blogging and the support is fantastic

On the subject of peanut M&Ms, yep - stay away they are evil and have a lot to answer for in my current state :-(

Rachel said...

Know what you mean Simon. Everybody I talk to about running thinks I'm a freak and wouldn't contemplate running one km. You need to find support from somewhere!

Mmmm. Peanut M&Ms, pity I can't chew anything at the moment :(

Spark Driver said...

I'm still trying to figure out how one "looks" like a runner. I figure that getting out there to run 2km or 100 is runner enough for me.

blues buffett said...

Good luck in the finals tipping.

I think Weagles and Freeo look good.

At least you have colleagues discussing running. My work colleagues view me as slightly strange...