Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Corporate Cup - Run 1

So today was the first corporate cup run at Mawson Lakes and I was entered as doing 2 laps totalling 4.45km. 14 people from my work making up 2 teams entered and despite being quite a friendly affair, reputations were on the line. Pre-race banter had me tussling with Bill and Shaun for supremacy of the slower runners. (ie not sub 20min runnners)
We all lined up together and were away! And yep, a bunch of novice races, boy did they go out fast. Needless to say I hung of the back and went at my own pace. After a 300m or so Bill looking around couldn't find me and dropped back to run with me but Shaun was away like a whippet and I remarked to Bill that I would catch him by the finish. So after cruising relatively easily around the lake for the first lap at 5.50 min/k pace I stepped it up on the second going for a big negatice split and to reel in Shaun. Bill could not go with me (but did take a little while to shake as he was cutting every corner possible) and I caught Shaun 3/4 the way around the second lap. I was wll and truly cruising now at 5.20 min/k pace and Shaun tried to go with me but blew up and had to walk. I crused it to the finish without feeling the need to hit top gear over that last couple of hundred metres...got to leave some room for improvement.
So rounded out the 4.45km in 24min36sec at an average pace of 5:31 min/k(which would have given me a 5k time of about 27min30sec but I think I could have cracked 27 at the pace I was going!).
The event was very fun and although I was the only one cheering and shouting encouragement across the lake at fellow team members I am looking forward to the next one. Hopefully someone will recognise the Cool Runner Cap and give me a yell of "GO COOL RUNNER!" but I think that is a little too much to ask.
Now onto the bigger questions: what should be my target time for the last run in 12 or more weeks? I would love to hit the 20min mark but I will be too busy training for longer events and I think that is unrealistic. Maybe just to finish at an average pace of 5min/km. That would give me a target time of 22min15sec.

Edit: ok Garmy was a little out...due to the erratic nature of the course around an irregularly shaped lake, not surprising. I just checked the official distance as measure by Life Be In It and it is 4.32km, so that gives me an average speed of 5:41min/km

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Smart racing. Good to have a fun event like that with work. Wish we could do something like that, but there is only one person at my work who doesn't balk at the very thought of running.

Spark Driver said...

Good post there. Had me cheering.