Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Not Faster. Just smarter.

5:30am this morning and 5°C outside I went out for a supposed recovery run. It started out at a reasonable pace to try and warm up, especially the fingers and once I was warm I made the conscious decision to slow down, well my brain did anyway, my legs interpreted this as - Go Faster. They were still in top gear from Sunday and changing down to the recovery gear was proving elusive. My pace had dropped down to 6min/k and with a few downhill sections the 7k recovery run ended with 42 mins on the clock (probably a route PB - haven’t checked yet), so much for the recovery run.

Now to yesterdays thoughts, I have compared my three 10k races and come to the conclusion that I have not got faster, just got smarter!
OK the first 10k, my first real race, the Carisbrooke Classic, I took off and went out way too hard especially in the second kilometre then crashed in the middle part holding on for a time of 1hr 2mins.
The second 10k and my second race I again went out even harder (got sucked in by the crowd and my overconfidence) started crashing but put in one last effort in the 9th kilometre to ensure breaking the hour, and coasted home as I was stuffed.
Now for Sunday, obviously with another 4 races under my belt I new how I should go, I went out easy gradually increasing my pace until a last flourish over the last 2km (instead of the first 2). Therefore I conclude my argument that I have not got Faster or Fitter, just Smarter with more experience to draw on.

4 comments:

Ellie80 said...

wow - those graphs make it pretty black and white don't they? nice thinking. but I reckon you are probably a bit fitter and faster too.

Anonymous said...

You have far too much time on your hands Simlin! Great graphs, I take you get those off your Garmin?
I'd agree though the steady approach is the way to go at the beginning but personally find it difficult not to push it a bit and then try to maintain. Still learning though and this is food for thought.

Wardman

R2B said...

Smarter is good!
Now if you can do it without blowing up that means you can now do it faster.
A bit more speed training is in order i think!

Lulu said...

Looks like you're fitter as well if you ran a PB. 10km is still a long way and it looks like you're getting better at pacing yourself as the splits are bit more even too.