Monday, September 11, 2006

Proper Entry

Now that I am not feeling so tired I will recount Sunday's run in more detail:

So after reading the walking book I bought Saturday I set off in search of some suburban trails. The plan was to run around to the end of the trail and run back along it for a total of 15km. I wasn’t planning to take any water so this run was going to be an easy LSD at about 7min/km. it was 7km to the end of the trail, which runs along dry creek through what is known as the Yatala Labour Prison because prisoners used to quarry along the creek. The trail was awesome! As soon as I got down into the gully, away from civilisation, my legs took over and my pace dropped to almost 6min/km. I even got to run across a weir with two inches of water running over it (there was an alternate board walk route but where is the fun in that…I wouldn’t have got my feet wet) at the end of that section of the trail, Bridge Rd, instead of turning for home to complete the 15km I continued across to see where dry creak went. It wasn’t too interesting and when the track veered away from home and across the creek I turned for home. Luckily I seemed to be following the Levels to City Bike route. Knowing that this runs close to my house I followed the signs through the back streets and soon came to another trail/path through parklands/paddocks past the velodrome…awesome I have been looking for this (not seriously obviously because it wouldn’t have been that hard to find) it ended with a long slow climb back up to Grand Junction Rd, where I decided to keep following the bike route through the backstreets until I got home with Garmy reading 17km.
What a great run! I had my mp3 player with me but never felt the need to turn it on, didn’t even feel dehydrated either, which was a surprise. This exploring has now set me up for two new runs, a 15km half trail run and a 10km extended loop (I will have to check google maps first to get the distance right.) a third possible run is to do a figure 8 incorporating the two hills for some hill training so I can beat spring gully road! Running up to Hampstead rd along Grand Junction as per normal but then circling around and running up the velodrome track, basically running up the same hill twice from different directions. Will save this one for later as now I had better take it easy before the city 2 bay next Sunday…hope the weather is as good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trail run sounds good. Will have to run it with you next time I'm in Adelaide.

Ewen said...

It's great finding new running trails. When I was in Sydney I'd use the street directory and just go to the green bits. I'm sure there are some trails around Canberra I'm yet to find.