Sunday, March 12, 2006

Goal Realisation

Well, I realised to reach my goal of a half marathon at the start of May, I might need to increase my long run to some semi-serious times. Hence I blew off the so-called "informal" fun run and did a long run instead, starting at 6am to avoid the sun, though it was still damn hot.
To avoid the catastrophe of last week, I steered clear of the beer last night and instead must have drunk 3L of water. Definately took my hydration back pack with me this morning (not making that mistake again).

The run consisted of 20 mins running 1min walking. As I read somewhere that this gives your running muscles a break or something, but it sounded like a good idea and was a good time to rehydrate and for little goals (I think it was here Marathon Rookie). It seemed to help and despite my mp3 battery dying 5km in I managed the 15km quite easily at a very slow pace. Now all I need to do is slowly increase this over the next month and B.I.N.G.O hopefully I should be able to finish my first HM!

Test drove my new Cool Max Targer socks today. They were good. Got a bit bloody though thanks to a little toe toe-nail. Still discovering the ins and outs of Sports Tracks software and might start moving all of my log from my fantastic excel spreadsheet into it. Though I do like the excell spreadsheet for ease of use...everything is there on the page and easy to graph, tabulate etc.

Hope I pull up all right for the SA public holiday tomorrow.

2 comments:

Spark Driver said...

I must admit I like my Excel training log too.

Lulu said...

Sounds like you are on track for your half marathon. Don't try and build up too quickly on the long runs, they can really take it out of you once you get to 2hrs.

I did my first one in May last year and it was a really great experience. Not fast by any stretch of the imagination but I really enjoyed it. ONce you get to 16kms in the race you know you're going to finish at least.
Looks like some tough goals there but I'm sure you can do it if you train consistently and steadily.

I'll check back regularly to see how you're doing.