Thursday, October 05, 2006

100 things

OK, so here it is. No laughing at my boring, goody two shoes life OK!

1. I was born in Bourke, NSW.

2. That’s right I am a New South Welshman by origin.

3. I have also lived in Warren, NSW, Carnamah, WA, Port Lincoln, SA, Palmerston, NT and Adelaide SA.

4. Never been overseas.

5. I have seen more than my fair share of the Australian Outback.

6. Was always a tubby kid.

7. In early primary school (living in Country WA) I won numerous medals for swimming at both school sports day and inter-school country carnivals.

8. I always won Butterfly and Backstroke, the same kid (best friend) always beat me at freestyle and breastroke.

9. Despite our swimming prowess, our school always got slaughtered at the inter-school country carnival athletics…we could swim, just not run.

10. After being in what could be termed a swimming squad with regular after school training etc (I lived across from the pool) we moved to Pt Lincoln and swimming training was at 6am a couple of ks away…bye bye swimming L

11. I have only once dived off a 10 metre platform. I did a pin drop.

12. Tip: when doing a pin drop from 10 metres ensure feet and legs are as close together as possible.

13. As a kid I only got grounded once. During which time I went to a birthday party.

14. I got grounded for splitting my brothers head open with a rock, which I propelled at him from quite a distance, so really it was quite a good grenade (throw).

15. I am the son of a preacher man…go Dusty.

16. My brother blames me for his inability to wrestle.

17. I am not a fighter, when we were kids I sat on him so we didn’t have to fight.

18. The one time I fought my brother, dad said take it outside, so we did…needless to say my brother ended up with a bleeding nose (I think it was over who got to sit in the bean bag?).

19. No one has ever tried to start a fight with me, probably due to a number of factors, I am large and imposing and some of the people I hung out with you really wouldn’t want to mess with…no one thankfully has ever worked out that I would most likely stand there and take it or run away.

20. I was the dux of my primary school.

21. I am into music, both making and listening.

22. Some instruments I have played seriously: Piano, Clarinet, Bassoon.

23. My favourite number.

24. Some instruments I have played but not so seriously: Saxaphone, Trumpet, guitar.

25. I have been in numerous bands at school, jazz ensembles etc and have therefore by association played with musicians such as James Morrison and Don Burrows.

26. Things related to music I have been payed for: Jazz background music, a few background piano gigs at dinners, weddings, teaching piano and I have also won a $300 composing and arranging competition.

27. The first CD I ever owned, Diesel - Hipfedelity….ouch (actually I have this on my mp3 player at the moment.)

28. The best I have ever done in a running event was 10th at a primary school cross country event

29. I have never stolen/borrowed a pig.

30. I am a shy person around new people.

31. I am overly friendly and inappropriate around people I know. (which must be why I like the internet so much ;) )

32. My first car was a Layland Mini.

33. To get into it I had to bend like a corkscrew.

34. I had it up on two wheels once going around a 90° turn at 100km/hr.

35. I have never been drunk to the point of vomiting.

36. I just get bored of drinking or spending the money.

37. I’ve always thought that I am just a control freak and afraid to let go.

38. I love Pasta.

39. I am sure I could easily eat a whole 500g packet of pasta cooked with a tasty sauce.

40. Was a very fussy eater as a kid.

41. never ate anything but meat unless it was with mashed potato.

42. Now I eat anything (I think it was due to college food)

43. I live with my Girlfriend.

44. We have 2 turtles named: Fanta Pants (a long neck) and Squirt (Murray River Short Neck)…edit: Squirt passed on last night. L

45. We have 2 frogs named: Frits and Beans.

46. I can’t stand doing anything wrong.

47. That includes breaking any rules or laws.

48. I never got detention, time-out or withdrawal at school.

49. I have only ever had two operations

50. once I had to go to the ER to remove a 1 inch tree spike from my head

51. I have also had ingrown toenail.

52. Patience is my biggest virtue.

53. I have to eat my favourite food first,

54. I can’t stand those that leave it till last…when it is cold and they are full.

55. Sometimes I drive like a grandma.

56. I ranked in the top 10 of the NT at the end of year 12…big whoop.

57. I always wanted to work in the pharmaceutical industry.

58. After 5 years at University, doing a bachelor of engineering (Chemical) and a bachelor of science (majoring in Organic Chem and Physical & Inorganic Chem) I came to the realisation (probably in second year) that a career in the Pharmaceutical industry was very unlikely.

59. After applying for a one line job advertised in the paper I landed my first job out of Uni…it just happened to be in the Pharmaceutical industry.

60. It’s funny how life turns out.

61. I Left home (Palmerston NT) when I was 17 to go to uni in Adelaide and stayed at Lincoln College.

62. Living in a residential college is a totally unique experience. (and would need another 100 things to explain why)

63. I have a younger brother and an older sister.

64. My favourite TV shows are House and the biggest loser.

65. I have made a conscious effort this year not to watch pointless TV shows and become a TV zombie.

66. It seems to be working, I get bored if I try and sit down and watch too much TV now.

67. I was once in a barbershop nonet - we were called The Flapping Sphincters - Enough said (though I could upload the video of our performance to youtube?)

68. I think running is now the most committed I have ever been to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

69. The Heaviest I have been was about 135kg.

70. I will be happy when I hit 100kg.

71. I have a freckle on my lower lip.

72. I practically lived as a vegetarian for the year 2002.

73. I go very red in the face when too much attention is placed on me.

74. I had the derogatory nickname Rudolf for a while in primary school.

75. I’m also a positive person and cling to the belief that everything works out in the end.

76. I have worked in childcare (vacation and afterschool care) - mostly my job was to run around like a silly bugger playing with all the boys outside.

77. I have worked for the NT government - mostly sorting core samples from that years drilling expeditions, they bagged a sample every 3 metres. We had to dry it and put it in a labelled vial to go to the core library.

78. My favourite movie genre is comedy.

79. I hate Horror movies, I just can’t see the point in watching something to get scared.

80. Everything else is ok and I don’t mind chick flicks…oops did I just type that out loud.

81. I like and appreciate all types of music, especially aussie rock.

82. My year of birth.

83. I love cooking.

84. I hate vomiting and can’t remember the last time I did.

85. When the last Olympics were on My brother and I had two TVs set up side by side, one with SBS and the other channel 7.

86. I have had my back naired once and my chest waxed once, I would not do either again.

87. Waxing hurts.

88. The best presents I have ever received are: Garmy, Runner’s World subscription and 2 tickets to Cirque de Soule.

89. I will be running my first marathon next year.

90. I love living in Adelaide (just a big country town) but can’t rule out a move interstate sometime in the future.

91. I have never been on A Current Affair

92. This list has taken me 3 days to compile.

93. I firmly believe that every situation can be related to either a Simpson’s Episode or a Seinfeld episode.

94. For the most part I am quite happy the way my life is turning out.

95. I really want to get back into swimming.

96. I am deathly afraid of going to a doctor and being told I need to have an operation; eg tonsils removed

97. As one of my yr 12 teachers famously said, I am a floater, I do enough to get the job done and no more.

98. I want to be one of those 70 year olds still out on the road running in fun runs

99. The penultimate thing

100. I am quite sure I will be bald and grey by the time I am 30.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

You will not be bald. That is carried through the female genes. Most likely my children will be bald.

I was just about to start my 100 list and now realised you have taken about 20 of them!

2P said...

Sorry to hear about squirt - but I'm certain I have seen you on A Current Affair ;-)

Great list.

Sekhmet said...

Aaah, I feel much better now knowing that most of my regular blog reads have completed their lists - phew!

Where do I start???

12 and 50 - ouch!

Why has no one else stolen/borrowed a pig? I just don't get it...

Yep, science - it sucks you in and interesting how so many of our CR bloggers also work in the scientific industry (cue twilight zone music)..on the note about drilling samples - after all your hard work some git doesn't pack them properly and when they arrive at the lab they are all smashed in the bottom of the esky and floating in water because the ice also wasn't bagged properly - grrrrrr :-(

And you? Shy? Nope, I don't think so lol :-)

Just wait til BB sees your entry about the "Flapping Sphincters".....

Simlin said...

Weirdly the name "Flapping Sphincters" came from our first song, which was She Don't Use Jelly by the Flaming Lips.

BethJ said...

LOL! Loved reading your list! And ummm... there is nothing wrong with leaving the best food till last... :o Sorry to hear about your turtle. Ouch about the spike. Let us know how the swimming goes ;)

RunDave said...

Thanks for sharing that with us. Very interesting. Sounds like you should do some triathlon.

I must start a 100 list sometime.

Ewen said...

98 is a good goal. Layland Mini? Are those the ones you can lie down in?

Thanks for the 10 metre platform tip. I'll keep that in mind next time I jump off.

Spark Driver said...

I liked #93, Simpsons too cool. #98 is great too, maybe then I could win a few catergorys.