Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Freedom

When you like numbers, The Garmin is great. I went on a long run today (14km yay me!) on a totally unplanned route (except for start and destination). I knew roughly how far it was by using google earth measuring tool, but just being able to choose a route on the fly and still have the distance travelled was awesome.

I must say the software SportsTracks was awesome too, just downloaded the running session and then BAM! up comes the satellite image with the exact route. Talk about spiffy technology. I am not sure that analysing km splits or pacing is going to improve my running (I am not a serious competitor) but it is just interesting to look at.

The pace alert was food too, I set it on 5.30 min/km so that I didn't go too fast, and a couple of times I hit it and went woah, slow down there speedy! or you won't make it home.

2 comments:

Steve's Stuff said...

Welcome to the world of GPS and running. The 301 mixed with SportTracks and you can analyse your runs any which way you want.

I have my alert set to 20 mins. This is especially useful on long runs and prompts me to drink and/or take gel.

miners said...

Having fun with blogging? Garmins are great fun too though aren't they? amazing the stuff they can do for you

Oh and yes, I agree with you about the value of the long run (and not just for the smiles they give you). Best running tool in the repertoire!