Friday, July 21, 2006

Decision Pending

OK, have to get real now with no running since Sunday.

Cause: Discovered, what I will call, a knot in my right leg on the outside above the knee. Have spent the last two days trying to massage it out and bought some dencorub last night to assist. It gave me great pain on monday and tuesday as pain developed all the way up through the hip ending in lower back pain during the day. The area is now a little bruised and tender due to the harsh treatment.
I know, I know, I should probably go and see a proffessional Physio or something but I am determined to learn that lesson the hard way and am disinclined to use the time or money over something so trivial. (justification being that I am not a professional athlete).

Now for the getting real part: I am planning to put an entry in for the 10k at the Adelaide Marathon Running Festival as a way of preventing myself from training too hard going for the half. It is a bit of a bugger (did I say bit, I meant HUGE dissapointment) but I really, really want to run well at the City to Bay in September, so this way I am taking the pressure off to recover too fast and train too much.

So what now: For a start, I have said it before to myself and am saying it again...STOP EATING YOURSELF STUPID! Instead of getting home from work and going out for a run, I am now getting home from work and going, what can I do now? I am hungry. I might have a piece of toast with peanut butter. Ooo that was good, how about another... AAAAaaaarrrgghhhh!
Next I will continue treatment today and probably Saturday, assessing on Sunday with a light jog (probably 4k) then if all is well I will ease back into a routine, building up the k's over August for hopefully a decent base for the 12k City to Bay. Here's hopping everything goes to plan.

PS incase you can't tell frustration has definately set in.

4 comments:

Ellie80 said...

oh that does sound frustrating indeed! but you definitely owe it to yourself to get professional help for your leg probs!! much better to knock it on the head and pay for one appointment than to leave it and end up needing to go every week! look after yourself!

Louise said...

with you on the toast and peanut butter... Mmmmm, toast. :-)

Good luck with the knee. Rest cures everything, but sometimes professional help can hurry it up a bit.

Spark Driver said...

When we go to the cupboard or fridge are we doing it out of hunger? Or boredom? It is hard to recognize at times.

2P said...

Nice work on the 15k race - hope the hurty bits get better soon ;-)